Atlanta Car Accident Attorneys Provide Legal Assistance
When drivers fail to follow the rules of the road responsibly, accidents happen and innocent people get hurt. The Georgia car accident lawyers at The Law Offices of Wayne Grant, P.C., are a dedicated team of legal professionals who devote their practice to helping victims of negligence get back on the road to recovery.
If you have been involved in an auto accident in Georgia, it is important that you have an experienced legal representative on your side. Do not let the careless or wrongful actions of others make you suffer the consequences alone when you are well within your right to seek compensation from the responsible party. Contact us to learn about your legal options and how we can work on your behalf.
Why File a Car Accident Claim?
Under Georgia law, the purpose of a civil claim is to make someone whole after they have sustained injury due to the negligence of another. Unfortunately, there is no way to bring a loved one back to life or to restore your health after irreversible damage. The law allows monetary damages to ease the financial burdens resulting from a negligent act. Experienced Atlanta auto accident attorneys, like those at The Law Offices of Wayne Grant, P.C., can ensure that you receive fair and just compensation to help on the road to recovery.
Under Georgia civil law, damages fall under the following three categories:
- Economic damages - Economic damages are tangible, financial-related, and provide present and reasonable future expenses. Economic damages include property damage, medical expenses, lost wages, and loss of earning capacity.
- Non-economic damages - Non-economic damages are things that have a detrimental impact on your quality of life, like pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of consortium for your spouse.
- Punitive damages - A jury can award punitive damages in cases where the negligent act showed a reckless disregard for the safety of others. An example of this is driving while intoxicated. Under Georgia law, these damages have a cap of $250,000 unless the liable party acted with intent.
Who is Liable in a Car Accident?
Under Georgia law, the driver responsible for the accident is liable for all injuries and damages. Furthermore, that driver cannot make a claim for his or her own damages unless another party was negligent. For instance, if road conditions or product liability played a part, the city, state or automobile manufacturer are subject to liability, and anyone who sustained damages can seek compensation from those parties.
However, even unintentional negligence and other factors can contribute to the cause and, ultimately, liability. Driver error, road conditions, and defective design or manufacturing in automobiles all play a part in causation.
- Driver error - There is no such thing as a risk-free driver. Any driver can have momentary inattention or lapse of judgment. Risky behavior also contributes to driver error. Risky behavior includes speeding, texting while driving, talking on the phone while driving, improper lane changes, other traffic violations, and a myriad of other things. It only takes seconds for an accident to happen.
- Road conditions - Improper design of streets and highways, poor maintenance, malfunctioning traffic signals, construction, signage, lighting, improper striping on the road's passing lanes, poorly placed trees, and utility poles all contribute to accident causation.
- Product liability - Defects in the design and manufacturing of automobiles and parts can cause serious injury to those on the road.
How Do I Defend My Claim Against the Insurance Company?
While the person who caused the accident is technically considered liable, the automobile insurance carrier defends the claim. Insurance companies are big business, and they prioritize profits over everything else. Profits do not rise by paying out claims, so it is to their advantage to settle claims as low as possible or to deny the claim outright. In order to defend your claim against bad faith insurance or other deceptive practices, it is crucial to have a knowledgeable lawyer on your side.
Helping You Obtain Rightful Compensation
The accomplished lawyers at The Law Offices of Wayne Grant, P.C. will work tirelessly on your behalf to help settle your claim without the time and cost of lengthy litigation. However, we will not hesitate to take your claim to trial, if necessary, in order to ensure that we achieve the best outcome possible. If you or a family member has been involved in a car accident in Georgia, we are here to help. Call (866) 249-5513 to schedule a free and comprehensive case review.
Recent Automobile Accident Verdicts and Settlements
- $550,000.00 Settlement - Automobile accident/appearance altering orthopedic injury.
- $250,000.00 Verdict - Bus accident/shoulder surgery.
- $190,000 Settlement - Automobile accident/wrongful death of infant born prematurely due to hemorrhage produced by collision.
- Confidential Settlement - Automobile collision/orthopedic injury.
Click here for more verdicts and settlements.